Monday, January 18, 2010

Debbie

Nestled away in a small town in Illinois is a woman of extraordinary strength and character. Debbie grew up in our small town and has been a leader there ever since. With a solid family, three beautiful children, and a faith that surpasses none.

But what makes Debbie one if my top 365's is the influence she had on me. I came to work for three years at Vandalia Middle School. We were just transitioning to a middle school and I had just left my job of 12 years at Brownstown. Coming to work with a team was a new adventure for me and somewhat difficult I can admit now. I had always run solo and suddenly needed to work with four other people. Debbie kept the light going for us during that time.  Debbie kept our eye on the prize.

Debbie is kind and funny. She at that time taught geography and science. My partner in crime in initiating an advisory program, we took kids to St. Louis to see a Christmas Carol, trekked to Ramsey State Park to have a two day camp out, and created Geographish, an interdisciplinary course in English and Geography. My best teaching days were at VMS. A great principal and great colleagues. Those were my last three years as a teacher and the most creative I could imagine.

But back to Debbie. Debbie has values and lives them every day. She is real. Cares about manatees and homeless and the people next door. She is always willing to lend a hand and offer a word of support. For her there is no holding back. She has no scarcity principle when it comes to giving to others of herself. I learned from Debbie the value of patience, kindness, and family. I learned from Debbie that being the best means being yourself and giving to others.

Debbie is a great teacher. She was a great colleague. But most importantly a great role model and person with value and principle. That is why Debbie is my first post of 365 people who make a difference in the world.

1 comment:

Retirement: And more..... said...

I also taught with Debbie and I agree 100%! She embodied all these qualities.....