Friday, April 2, 2010

Mom

My top 365 includes my Mom, Lois Rohlfing. My Mom was born in Illinois. She was the third of five children. My Mom and I have enjoyed a positive relationship in our adult lives. My Mom likes Bill O Reilly and loves to watch Fox News and Lifetime movies. She was widowed at an early age and keeps her feelings pretty much to herself. Recently on Facebook many of us commented on our memories of the day My dad died. She was left with some kids and some raising to do after that happened.


 She did her best. I think my mom is the most fun when she is going out to eat or shopping. She is a mom. She did not pursue a career as most women of her generation did not. She was good to my grandma and had friends. She did not remarry after my dad died and her Al was the great love of her life in widowhood. My mom like to buy jewelry and she likes to spend time with her grandkids. She will be 80 years old this year and she is still healthy and doing well. She listens to my moaning and groaning and she is fun to hang out with.

Some of my best memories of my Mom are when I broke my arm and she came over and took care of me. We had fun. Watched movies and she was very supportive. I also remember the time she moved to California and I drove her. We stopped at Custer's Battlefield and many other places along the way. After her official retirement she obtained her police badge as a citizen cop. She still has it. She also worked part time at the theatre in Ventura and met lots of stars. My Mom worked part time for years at the Funeral Home as the hostess and the secretary. She did there what she does best. She talks to people and helped them feel better.

One of my favorite pictures of my Mom is when she and my Dad were out at the Fireman's Ball in Vandalia and she is in a pretty yellow ball gown and white gloves and holding up a cigar. I am sad for her that he died so young because I think they had a lot of fun together.

My Mom is  strong and was able to persevere after my Dad's death. She moved to California at the age of 55 and started a new life over. She manages to make it work. She is kind to her neighbors and she loves her kids and grandkids. She is a role model for her strength and her perseverance. Be it Days of our Lives or Facebook, she is keeping up with the new trends and staying current with what is going on in the world.

No comments: