Sunday, October 20, 2013

Uncle Cecil

Uncle Cecil is definitely my Top 365. He was always my support system. I went to his house and spent a lot of time with he and Aunt Dorothy in my formative years. They provided me a family environment. Uncle Cecil was my main cheerleader for many years. He was supportive to me and told me that I could accomplish anything. He was kind to me and treated me like one of his own kids. Uncle Cecil worked for Getty for many years. He loved to garden and he flew model airplanes after he retired. He would spend hours sitting in his garage and working on his planes.

Uncle Cecil provided for me a dad figure who inspired me in my career in my early years. He fed me the belief that I could do anything and he believed in me and motivated me. I looked forward to pleasing him and hearing his kind words.

As the years went by, family conflicts, moves, and old baggage got in the way of our relationship. I was glad though that I had a few months to spend with him toward the end of his life. I would go over to take care of Pat and Uncle Cecil and I would drive around in the car and I would take him to Green Thumb or the store and talk to him.  I made sure he had food and was taken care of. The Alzheimers had a hold of his communication skills but not his heart. He knew what was going on.  I treasure those few weeks when I could give back to him and take care of him the way the took care of me and I miss him incredibly.

Uncle Cecil was a part of my career building years and gave me the support and confidence to move in any direction I saw fit. He used to tell me I reminded him of Melanie Griffith in Working Girl. That motivated me for years.  He was a hard working man and I thank the Lord every day that He gave us those end times to spend together so I could give back to him. Losing him was like losing my Dad over again.

No comments: